Friday, August 19, 2011

My Journey to Empowerment


“I’m through with playing by
The rules of someone else’s game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It’s time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap.” – Defying Gravity/Wicked
I saw The Glee 3D Movie yesterday and I loved it! The film shares the stories of a few individuals who overcame adversity. Hearing those people’s stories inspires me and it’s just reinforces the idea that I can overcome my challenges in life. We all can.
The movie was very fun and freeing. I get a similar feeling when I write or model, which made me realize how I can stay empowered. When I am being creative and expressing myself, the obstacles and challenges do not seem so insurmountable.
So, the following is an exercise that you can try. Start by finding your thing; the activity that brings you joy and sets you free. My thing is writing. Other people’s activity might be gardening, practising an art form or taking part in a particular sport. Then make time to do whatever you have chosen every day, though you don’t have to do it for long. If you chose more than one activity then alternate between them. The important thing is to be consistent.
However, if you don’t know what your thing is, see the exercise below.
Exercise 2: Make a list of the activities that you enjoy doing. The size of your list doesn’t matter just as long as you can rate your activities from 1 to 10; 1 being what you enjoy the most. (Note that you can have the same number more than once.) Next, eliminate the ones that you are least interested in. Keep rating and eliminating until you have your number 1 choice.
(Exercise 2 was inspired by the passion test.)
P.S. Please feel free to share your questions and/or comments in the space below.

No comments:

Post a Comment