Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Gage Development


I’m sorry that I haven’t posted anything for awhile. I really am trying to churn out stuff more regularly. Anyways, I want to talk about the most recent development along my journey to successful and independent living.
Back in April I went to see the Gage apartments and talk to the people there.  I met with an occupational therapist (OT) who said that before I can get accepted into the Gage program, I need to use an electric wheelchair. My parents and I then explained to her why I started to solely use my manual chair. I don’t use my power chair anymore because I would lose control whenever I had a spasm, so the therapist suggested getting it modified so I am able to drive it.
After my parents and I got home from our meeting, we left a message for my occupational therapist asking about my chair. Today, my OT called us back and said she doesn’t know that anything can be done to make my electric chair safer for me to drive; however, she said she will look into it. Though now I feel like I have hit a wall. What if there is nothing that can be done to my chair? What do I do?
I’m sure things will work out eventually; it’s just a matter of getting to that point. I was reading a book by Chris Widener today and there was one quote that really struck me. “Those who are successful are those who can turn adversity into accomplishment.”

No comments:

Post a Comment