Saturday, July 17, 2010

Defying Gravity


Questions, questions, questions, they are all around us. They push us forward or they sometimes pull us back, never keeping us in one spot for too long. I have a few questions that hopefully will push me towards and along the path that I want to take in life. My questions are as follows; as an individual living with a physical disability, why can’t I have assistance to live my life to its fullest? Why is it that adults who have cognitive and developmental disabilities receive more assistive services than adults who have physical disabilities? Does the government think that people with physical disabilities do not have viable goals and aspirations in their lives? By voicing these questions, I hope that I will move closer towards my desired life path.

Geez, trying to have my own life is nearly as tricky as defying gravity! I am twenty years of age, I recently graduated high school and I'm looking to start building my life. However, there are barriers and infringed rights that have to be dealt with before I can have the life that I envisioned for myself.

I am not able to get out of my house without assistance and I know that I am not the only one in this situation. Therefore, I am starting a movement called “Defying Gravity” to advocate for the rights of people living with physical disabilities. If you have a physical disability and you are in the same boat as me, please send me your stories. You can do this a number of ways. You can write it down, record yourself on video or utilize whatever method that best works for you.

In Canada, we are entitled to the rights guaranteed in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. We are also entitled to peacefully advocate for our rights. We have the right to Life, Liberty and Security of the person; guaranteed in Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

How are our rights to Life, Liberty and Security being honoured when we are not receiving the assistance we require to get out of our houses and achieve our goals?

For more details, please go to: http://defying-gravity.ning.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment